This books was written to accompany a website by the same name. Here’s the PDF file containing the first chapter: Recently Separated… What is Next? First Chapter.
This is an article written for Thrive Global. You can read it on Medium.com.
Read the article on FluentU Business English Blog.
Read the article on the FluentU Business English Blog…
Read it on the FluentU Business English Blog…
As seen on FluentU Business English Blog… Check it out.
You will rarely guess/create/cause #1
The breakthrough pop hit is so unpredictable that it’s basically random.
You will always do better with a rational portfolio of second and third place reliable staples than you will in chasing whatever you guess that pop culture will want tomorrow.
Of course, it means giving up hoping for a miracle and instead doing the hard work of being there for the people who count on you.
not able to say or estimate that (a specified thing) will happen in the future or will be a consequence of something.
Essential TOELF Word: predictability (adv): in a way that foretells future events
Vocabulary lesson: Unpredictable has the prefix “un” which means “no, not.” So unpredictable is not predictable.
based on sensible practical reasons instead of emotions
(Source Macmillan Dictionary)
in this context — a range or collection of ideas held by a person or organization
a flat case for carrying documents or drawings
a set of drawings, paintings, or photographs that are presented together in a folder
finance : the investments that are owned by a person or organization
able to be trusted to do or provide what is needed : able to be relied on
able to be believed : likely to be true or correct
Essential TOEFL Word : reliably (adv): in a trusted way
a commodity for which the demand is constant
something having widespread and constant use or appeal
Essential TOEFL Word: staple
pop culture (n)
the entirety of ideas, perspectives, attitudes, images, and other phenomena that are within the mainstream of a given culture, especially Western culture of the early to mid 20th century and the emerging global mainstream of the late 20th and early 21st century.
an event not explicable by natural or scientific laws.
to count on somebody (phrasal verb)
to depend on someone to do what you want or expect them to do for you
(Source Macmillan Dictionary)
Use one of the words or phrases below to complete each of these sentences below.
You may have to change the form of a word to complete the sentence correctly.
unpredictable / portfolio / reliable / staple / pop culture / to count on somebody
- I know you trust him, but his latest actions make me question his _____________.
- Some groups consider _____________ to be superficial and consumerist.
- Want to work for us? Then your resume and / or _____________.
- Oh yes. you can ____________________. If he says the it will be done tomorrow, it will be done tomorrow.
- It is hard to determine which candidate will win. This is the most ____________ election in decades.
- The economic conditions in the country are worsening. The grocery stores are even running out of ______________ like milk and bread.
- I know you trust him, but his latest actions make me question his reliability.
- Some groups consider pop culture to be superficial and consumerist.
- Want to work for us? Then your resume and / or portfolio.
- Oh yes. you can count on him. If he says the it will be done tomorrow, it will be done tomorrow.
- It is hard to determine which candidate will win. This is the most unpredictable election in decades.
- The economic conditions in the country are worsening. The grocery stores are even running out of staples like milk and bread.